Monday, December 10, 2007

Getting Ready

For some reason I found it extremely important to make my mother and my husband to go out this past weekend and procure the world's largest cat toy:

The cats, of course, think this was designed for their entertainment.
Why was it so important to get a Christmas tree? I don't know. I need to have everything in place before the babies come. We must have a tree for Babies' First Christmas (tm). Not that they're going to care, or notice, whether or not we have some giant glowy thing in the corner of the room. Is this really going to make it into their consciousness? Will it have any effect on the general white noise buzzing that will be going on in their brains? Maybe they'll like the lights. I'm sure the presence of stockings will matter a great deal to newborns. Not to mention presents and Christmas cookies and gingerbread and candy canes. Obviously the babies aren't going to care, but for some crazy reason I want everything to be just right for the Babies' First Christmas (tm).

If this is what nesting means, it certainly isn't very practical!

Every time I go into work now, the women say "I can't believe you're still here!". The men try to schedule additional meetings with me and ask me to squeeze in extra service tasks before I give birth. My students are sending me emails asking me to comment on their thesis ideas or the latest theoretical construct they've encountered. I really suck at saying no to stuff. I don't want to say no because I don't want to end up pigeonholed as a non-serious scholar because I am having babies. I guess that's why I dragged my enormous self through the ice and snow today to a meeting, so that everybody could see that I'm still showing up, and I'm serious, damn it.

A final ultrasound today, in which the babies were measuring at 6 lbs 4 oz and 6 lbs 2 oz. There is a half-pound error of margin, though. But even so, if I'm carrying 12 pounds of babies right now, then hey, I'm pretty bad-ass.

No comments: