Saturday, April 26, 2008

Relief

I'm writing this at 5 a.m. because it's just easier to stay up right now than go back to sleep for what might be 10 or 15 minutes. The babies have been up, oh, about ten thousand times tonight, but I can't blame them because they just had their 4-month shots and they're feeling like crap. Milo had a temperature of 101.9 earlier tonight but now it seems to have broken.

The weather is currently taking a shift from spring back to winter. I'm watching the temperature drop right this very minute, and I can feel the change happening as the cold wind blows in through the closed (crappy, ancient) window next to my computer. The job candidate we made an offer to decided not to accept the offer, so months of hard work and wining and dining has just gone down the drain. But I don't mind any of this too much because I am so relieved about Milo and his head. Today we saw a specialist to find out whether he had craniosynostosis, which is a condition in which some of the sutures in the skull fuse too early. The treatment for this is surgery, surgery on the skull, in other words cutting my baby's scalp open and conducting surgery on his innocent little baby skull. This was really intolerable to contemplate, so my relief that it doesn't have to happen is enormous.

Milo's flat spot is just positional, and in fact it's mild enough that he won't even need a helmet, so now that I know he's going to be okay I can start making light of the whole thing, which is my God-given right as a parent. But I guess I'll hold off for a few days, anyway, before I start calling him "denty" and other things, seeing as how he's not feeling so well from the shots. I'm sensitive like that.

No comments: