Thursday, August 2, 2012

Nail Polish

Recently I was with a bunch of women and I noticed that every single one of them had nail polish on their toes (and maybe their fingers, too, but I was noticing the toes) except me. Also, I've read or heard here or there that it is in bad taste to wear sandals or flip flops and not have painted toenails.

I have never worn nail polish in my entire life. Am I unintentionally going around being super frumpy and unfashionable by refusing to wear nail polish? I wonder if I have become one of those people who is so out of touch she doesn't even know it, like women who still wear polyester pants suits. And people can't help but sigh in quiet exasperation when they see my sandaled, bare toes, and think to themselves, "If only Amy took a little care, she could look nice..."

It was easier to eschew all that stuff when I was in the prime of my youth. I still eschew it now, but I no longer have my youthful charms to compensate.

8 comments:

Ianqui said...

Le sigh. I feel pretty confident that I can resist most pressures of the popular press regarding trends and cosmetics, but for some reason, I can't escape the strict edict that one should wear nail polish on ones toes in the summer. This, despite the fact that I once read an article about how bad nail polish is for the environment and decided to stop using it...at least, as much as I used to.

BrightStar (B*) said...

okay, this post is funny to me, because let me share my interpretation: When I notice women who are not wearing nail polish on their toenails, I think, "Wow, their toenails are so smooth and pretty that they don't feel the need to cover them up with polish. How nice that they don't have to deal with that!" See, the secret is, many of us polish our toenails because our feet are exposed in the summers and really my toenails have weird ridges and stuff on them and I just want to cover them up. Be glad that you don't feel compelled to deal with that. That's my take. Just be you. It's all good. Don't wear that crap unless it's fun for you. (It is fun for me to change the colors.)

You're not frumpy. You're super cute. Everyone loves your cute outfits and hats! :)

albe said...

Hmm, that is a good interpretation B*, so maybe not every single person is silently judging me all the time! (I do wear sandals or flip flops all the time in the summer).

When I was young I didn't care at all about not wearing makeup and saw it as a non issue. Now, it is starting to bother me a little bit because I know that I would look better if I put in the effort, but I simultaneously chafe against doing that, but then I think, hey, you're not getting any younger, you might as well help yourself out here...

Mandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BrightStar (B*) said...

Why would you look "better"?

I mean, I think nice toenails that don't need polish is a sign of someone whose body looks like it did when it was younger, just as one example.

Make up melts off as the day goes on, anyhow. All I do is throw on eyeliner and mascara. I can't be bothered with any of the rest of it. Plus, it's probably better for your skin not to wear that stuff, so your skin will be in better shape in the long run for not doing it.

People probably judge me because I have no clue how to deal with eyebrows...

albe said...

Oh my gosh, I am the same way about eyebrows! Now there's waxing threading, shaping, WTF?

leela4 said...

I used to be totally anti-toenail polish until the summer we did that crazy long backpacking trip and I started ruining my toenails. Now, like B*, I do it because my toenails are sooo ugly. And you'd think it would draw attention to them, but I try to choose colors that fade into the background. Believe me, if I didn't think I had to hide them, I'd never do it. It's a pain.

BrightStar (B*) said...

OMG, I have no idea what threading even is, and I hear people talking about it and I'm all... uh... what?