Friday, February 29, 2008

Immaturity

I've never been great with authority. When somebody tells me to do something for a reason that makes sense to me, I'm great at doing it. So when I got a gestational diabetes diagnosis, even though the diagnosis was a little iffy I followed through to the letter. I avoided sugar completely and balanced my carbs with proteins and fats and kept my blood sugar under control.

When the lactation nurse suggested that I find ways to increase the amount of fat and dairy in my diet, I followed her advice. It doesn't hurt that it's fun to drink milkshakes.

In contrast, when the dietician suggested that I avoid all fish and all sushi while pregnant, I ignored her because it was clear that I'd read a lot more on the subject than she had. 

And today, when my mother-in-law told me that I should not drink milkshakes because they're too fatty, I promptly went out to the cafe on my way to work and ordered a chocolate milkshake. I'm contrary that way.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha.. eat whatever the hell you want (regarding the calories/fat... keep it highly nutritious) you are nursing two babies. I loved the (700 calorie) peanut butter banana smoothie from smoothie king while I was nursing. :) Enjoy it while you can.. it WON'T last forever!