Bad: Before the kids were born I did a lot of work at home. I got more work done at home (by work I mean "real" work, i.e. work that will earn me tenure, i.e. analyzing data and writing for publication) than at the office. At the office, people always interrupt me and bug me for stuff. At the office, I end up stuck in meetings for half the day. Meetings are not conducive to getting "real" work done. Anyway, I had my own office at home. It had a desk and I could sit at the computer and look out the window at the park. It had a reclining chair, and later a futon, and I could get comfortable and read journal articles. I loved that room, as it was all mine. It is important to have a room of one's own.
Jake's own room was in the basement. It also has a desk and a printer and a television and his weights. That was his room. My office was my room.
Then the babies came and Jake started school and started using a laptop and suddenly my office became his office. He doesn't want to spend all of his time in the cold dark basement, so he's co-opted my office. The futon is covered with his books and his papers. His computer is there. Every square inch of the office is covered with stuff. Some mine, some his. My desk is a mess. Jake spends most of his time in that room studying when he's not with the kids.
I used to love that room, my own space. Now I hate it. And I'm kind of resentful because I still want a room of my own.
Good: This morning I got the kids to actually eat some French Toast...with butter AND maple syrup!
Arbitrary Update: This morning Jake started putting his hat and coat on, and Milo looked up from his book and said "bye bye dada!" Sooooo cute. Both kids like to sing "eieio" from the Old MacDonald song, but they get it backwards, saying "ieie". They also like to chime in to the alphabet song. When I get to the part where you sing "now I know my ABC's", they say "know, know" and when I sing "next time won't you sing with me", they sing "me, me, me".
No comments:
Post a Comment