Fall has been pretty and warm here, which is kind of nice after our cool, rainy summer. On Friday afternoon I took the kids to the park as Jake biked off to class, and everybody else was in the park too. Nora and Milo played with lots of their friends and I had people to talk to, and before I knew it almost 2 hours had gone by and it was time for dinner. It's nice how quickly the time passes when there are people around to hang out with, instead of just me and the kids. Jake doesn't mind doing the same thing with the kids day after day (park, other park, walk, play inside, park again), but I find it so boring that it drives me nuts. I'm always looking for ways to make things more interesting, like play groups or drop-in gyms or whatnot.
Amy: It's so much better when there are people at the park and I can talk to them instead of getting bored.
Jake: What do you mean, get bored?
Amy: Uh, don't you find hanging out with the kids kind of...boring? I can only watch them go down the slide 50 times in a row before it gets a little old.
Jake: It doesn't bother me at all. I can just stare off into space and amuse myself by looking at a tree or something.
Amy: Uh...wow. Yeah, for me it's kind of like torture, that's how boring it is.
Jake: Man, you are really not cut out to be a stay-at-home mom. Who would have thought I'd have a better temperament for it than you.
Saturday was a game day, so we didn't drive anywhere, and instead walked to the other park (it's got swings, and the lake, different trees to stare at). That was fun too, because we ran into a few of our neighbors there (more talking!) and their older kids played with Milo and Nora. The kids are getting so big that they can climb around on the play structure themselves, going through the tubes and down the slides just like big kids. That afternoon I started making cassoulet but accidentally ended up making festive black bean chili instead, which was stupid and annoying. But in the end, the chili turned out okay, and I made cornbread to go with it, and I'll save cassoulet for another day. Milo actually ate both the cornbread and the chili, declaring that he liked the beans.
Today the kids learned new words and phrases like "chihuahua" and "football went down the drain". It was a fine day, nothing special, nothing bad, except that I had to miss the afternoon with the kids to attend a work-related picnic that involved awkward mingling exercises and games of kickball. Fortunately I got home in time for our nightly pre-bedtime dance party, and all was well.
Pictured above is Milo after he enjoyed every last drop of the smoothie Jake made for him.
No comments:
Post a Comment