Monday, May 7, 2012

Three Petty Things and One Not

Petty Thing #1: Last night Nora asked me how much I weigh. Huh? I said I wasn't sure, since I haven't stepped on a scale in a very long time, and then I gave her an estimate. She said, "Well maybe you could try getting on the scale and then you can let me know." Uh...no? I'm pretty sure Nora has no idea what she weighs, so her sudden interest in what I weigh was pretty surprising.

Petty Thing #2: We have to go to this wedding. I don't want to go, but Jake wants to take the whole family so we're going. It's on a Friday afternoon, at like 3, in a town about 2 hours away. So that means taking the day off work. And having the kids miss their nap. So anyway, it's his cousin who is getting married and I've never met the bride. I've met the groom twice, I think. But recently I got an envelope in the mail (of course addressed to me with Jake's last name) inviting me to this woman's bridal shower. Just me, not Jake.

Okay, wait a sec. I have literally never met her. And she's like 35 and getting married for the second time. And I have never met her. And I'm supposed to go to a bridal shower for her? Are you freaking kidding me?

(Also, the wedding invitation itself included their registry info. Sorry, but...no. I'm no Emily Post, but come on.)

Petty Thing #3: Due to not-worth-getting-into details I am paying $160 to feed my department members lunch. In return for all of those other months when they feed me lunch, and by feed me lunch I mean bring in a tray of limp deli meats and call it a day. Um, can we abolish the communal lunch thing already? I'd rather keep my $160 and take care of my own lunch each month.

Non-Petty Thing: Last night Nora had reflux. And here I had thought, once again, that she had outgrown it. We've been cutting back on her meds. Anyway, I figured she needed to sit upright for a while so I said she could sit with me and watch Deep Space 9 with me and Jake. (It was a quirky episode. The episodes are either stressful or quirky, and this one was quirky, so I knew it wouldn't be scary.) She sat there on my lap for the whole time, and occasionally Nora would look at me with this huge, sweet smile on her face, because it was such a treat to stay up with Mom & Dad and look at the grown-up video they were watching. It totally reminded me of this one time that I took Nora to meet a friend at a coffee shop when she was about 6 months old. And the whole time, sitting on my lap, Nora would look up at me with these giant smiles. My friend said, "Boy does she love you!" And things haven't changed at all. Nora seems so grown up to me most of the time but sometimes I still see the baby in her.

No comments: