Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Service Update

I declined the district IRB committee, but offered to serve on another additional committee or committees in order to compensate. But then I also listed all of my committees and university-related service I'm currently doing, just so he saw everything for the record. I figured it'd be pretty ballsy of him to ask me to do something else after seeing the list, but he might anyway, which I was mostly okay with.

Happily, my chair responded nicely and didn't ask me to do anything additional, so hooray!

Saying no is uncomfortable. Every advice-to-women-professors column always has a lot about the importance of saying no, sometimes supplying different strategies for how to say no, so this must not be a problem unique to me. I don't like saying no because I don't want to be perceived as a diva or somebody who isn't a team player. At the same time, I know I'll get taken advantage of if I don't start learning how to say no sometimes, so it's a good skill to develop.

*******

I feel myself starting to shut down when it comes to politics. I just can't take it anymore. The Akin rape stuff was what put me over the edge. I don't even want to be engaged anymore because we're just so fucked as a country. It feels pointless; we're just too fundamentally screwed at this point. All I want to do is to try to equip Nora with the tools she'll need to fight her way through life in a culture that doesn't even view her as an actual human being.

1 comment:

BrightStar (B*) said...

yay! This is a great outcome. It sounds like your chair did not realize ALL of the service that you were already doing. Good for you!!

Ugh... I cannot even deal with the "legitimate rape" junk. How is this discourse even possible? Why won't the men just shut up about female bodies when they clearly do not have scientific information and also they don't have vaginas. These men need to be put in their places. Not all men, but these vocal, conservative politicians. I'm so done with them.