Wow I have jet lag! Despite staying up until all hours of the night here I am watching the sun rise over the lemon tree in our courtyard. When I was traveling on Friday I should have kept in mind that any difficulties or delays would be totally inconsequential in comparison to the joy of being back with my friends again.
Quotes I have enjoyed this weekend:
"It's great how much of San Francisco is stereotypically San Francisco."
"Men don't use 'journal' as a verb."
I have a number of lovely friends in my town who I am grateful for but there is also something so satisfying about being with friends who have known you for such a long time. For instance, they all knew my ex-husband S, who once decided and then told me that he would rather divorce me than have a child with me. So when I said to them, "Guess who had a baby a couple of months ago? Just take a guess", they all immediately said, "Oh my God. Fucking S. He fucking went and has a BABY?!?" I knew they would immediately understand how shitty that was! That was something that even Jake didn't really understand. I think you probably would have had to know me when I was going through that part of my life to truly get what it would be like to find out that S decided to have a baby at the age of 40.
It has been an intense weekend but so great as always. As we age I find myself thinking about how things have changed over the years. Throughout our various reunions we've been young and single, we've had reunions that coincided with 4 of our weddings, we've had reunions with some of us pregnant, with some of us bringing our little babies along...babies who are now in middle school. We've had reunions back when we were grad students or law students, when we were just starting out in new jobs, when we were moving or buying houses. There have been times when one of us was going through a tough time (mine was a decade ago when we met up in Seattle). I can only imagine how things will continue to change in future years.
The sun is now completely up.
2 comments:
I have a question I thought of the other day: Are any of the Pinewood Seven still teachers other than you?
Well, two of us are professors and one of us is a counselor working in a high school. So we're in related professions at least...
Post a Comment