Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Milo's Day

This morning Milo fell at school and bumped his mouth against the table. They called us to see if maybe we wanted to take him to the doctor or the dentist. So I had to come in during the middle of the morning to see how he was doing. Milo seemed okay but had some blood on his gums and didn't want to bite down on anything.

If this had happened at home, that would have been the end of it. But you can't be that asshole parent at school who says, "Yeah, I actually don't think it's necessary to call the dentist over this, I'm sure he'll be fine." So I had to take him to the dentist, who looked at his mouth for about 30 seconds and declared him fine. So long, aspirations of getting work done.

By then it was the afternoon so we went ahead and picked up Nora, too, and then I took them to the store to get presents for the present exchange for the party we're having this weekend. We're having a joint birthday party for 4 kids with close birthdays. Instead of making everybody bring presents for four kids, we're having everybody bring just one gift and then we'll do an exchange. While we were at the store, I also got soup (Milo doesn't want to chew hard things after bumping his mouth). So it was a nice evening meal of chicken noodle soup for the kids.

Later Jake asked Milo, "What do you think you want to get Mom for Christmas?" Milo said, "I don't know...maybe a new bottle opener." Gee, and I thought my drinking was under control!

Later Milo sought me out and asked me what he should get for Dad. I said, maybe Dad would like a tie, and Milo was happy about that idea. But then he told Jake about it, and Jake said, "Now you can't get me a tie since it wouldn't be a surprise." Jake was joking, but Milo took it to heart and became very worried about how he had ruined the tie idea and what would he do instead? Poor kid. Perhaps tomorrow afternoon the kids and I will spend some time doing something for Jake's Christmas present.

It sort of reminds me of this sweet tear-jerker of a commercial:

No comments: