Wednesday, August 20, 2008

How to Make a Playroom

1. Start with a sunroom in really bad shape. I should have taken some before pictures, but I forgot, so all I have is this photo of a plant that I took in the sunroom:

Notice the floor in terrible condition and the fact that one wall is blue and the other wall is white. The white wall is actually two shades of white, as the prior owners apparently decided to start painting the wall and then quit halfway through. They also didn't do any taping when they painted, so the trim has blue and old yellow paint splashed on it here and there. Sadly I don't have a photo of the wood paneling siding on one of the walls.

2. Get rid of all of the crap in the sunroom.

3. Refinish the floor and paint the walls and the trim:





4. Cover the beautiful floor with an ugly but kid-friendly foam mat to protect the floor and their heads.


5. Drive to IKEA to get something to organize all of their toys. This might hurt if the nearest IKEA is over 100 miles away. Get fabric bins from Target to pop into the IKEA organizer. Put all of their toys and a few of their books away. Breathe a giant sigh of relief.




6. Hang curtain panels to hide the unattractive view but still let in the light.



I didn't hang anything in the big picture window, as I like the view and the kids seem to like it too.


We still have a few things left to do, like finish off the bottom of the curtain panels, put a rug in front of the door, and install baby-safe outlet covers, but the room is one that the kids seem to like.



(Where is Milo? He was napping, like Nora should have been.)

No comments: