Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thank You Paul Simon

and Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

Fairly typical night: Babies finish eating. We change them. We turn out the lights and turn on the white noise machine. Jake puts Milo in the crib. He silently tosses and turns for a minute and then falls asleep. I hold Nora and try to get her to relax a little bit. She tosses and turns in my arms and either starts to relax, or gets more and more agitated. If she relaxes and gets drowsy, all is well and she will go to sleep happily in her crib. If she gets more agitated, then holding her just makes her mad. In due time I'll put her down and sometimes she'll just turn over and go to sleep.

But if Nora can't settle and starts crying, I run downstairs and blast Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes. Usually after about 30 seconds of this, Nora will quiet down and go to sleep.
She makes the sign of a teaspoon
He makes the sign of a wave
The poor boy changes clothes and puts on aftershave
To compensate for his ordinary shoes



No comments: