Monday, October 27, 2008

Milo's Language

I swear, more and more is getting through to Milo. This morning he was missing a sock and I started talking to him about it, asking him where his sock went. He then pointed at his bare foot! Then this evening Milo and Nora were standing up looking into a box of toys. Milo started saying "baby" which was weird because he's never spontaneously said it before, he just says it after we say it. I turned around and looked at him, and he was holding the baby doll that the twin whisperer got after he started saying baby.

I was blown away by that, so I tried an experiment. I gave him the doll and asked him what it was. Here it is, on video:



It impresses me that Milo (or any baby) can form a concept of something like "kitty" or "baby" when it means so many different things. Baby means him or his sister, or it means that random baby on the street, or it means the doll, or it means a picture of a baby in a book. We use the same word to refer to an idea that is an abstraction derived from many very different experiences. The fact that anybody can reflectively abstract a concept like "baby" blows me away.

No comments: