I tried to take some cute pictures of Milo and Nora together. It's really hard. Witness the following:
They just never sit still. They're always moving. Usually, they're together getting in trouble, like this:
Or this:
I have ordered some latches for our cabinets and I hope they come soon because the babies have become obsessed with opening up all of the cabinets and pulling everything out.
One thing that's funny is how Nora and Milo always gravitate towards one another. Wherever they are in the room, they're generally in the same spot. If one kid finds something dangerous and fun to investigate, the other is right there to help out. Recently I took a walk with a neighborhood mom whose daughter is 3 months older than Nora and Milo. She asked whether I was ever able to get anything done when home alone with them. In her case, she can't do much of anything because her baby always wants her right there with her, playing with her. Nora and Milo aren't really like that because they have each other. Sometimes they don't even notice me because they're too busy scheming together, figuring out ways to stick forks into unprotected outlets.
They're interacting a lot now and I love to watch it. Tonight at dinner Milo was doing his usual charming trick of blowing his food all over creation, and Nora picked up on it and started doing it herself. Whenever Nora blew her food out, Milo just cracked up. Seriously cracked up. So of course she kept doing it over and over again, and he kept laughing. They'll do little things like that to make each other laugh, and when I see that I think, oh, okay, this is why we went through the hell of having two newborns at the same time. Now I get it. Having two is pretty cool.
In the past month Nora has started creeping along the couch and sometimes she'll let go for a minute and stand unassisted. She doesn't really seem all that interested in walking; I don't think she's in a hurry to do it. I'm okay with that, because they get around quickly enough as it is with crawling. Nora might walk before too long, though. I think once she figures out that it's a possibility, she's going to set her mind to it and get going.
Nora is saying "hi" now, which she'll sometimes say to Milo as well as to me, Jake, the twin whisperer, and the cats. She also says "all done" after I say it at the end of meals. Nora has also taken up "kitty", which I think she learned from Milo. Nora is generally not super interested in talking; she'd prefer to just move around. However, she can wave hello and goodbye, and she can clap, and she loves to imitate facial expressions.
Nora really wears her heart on her sleeve. She can't resist a smile, and any attention she gets just makes her glow with joy. On the other side, Nora can't hold it in when she gets upset. She'll kick her feet and writhe her body, and it all looks suspiciously like a little baby tantrum to me. So I guess we have that to look forward to. She's like a summer storm, though. Quick to anger, quick to get over it. Mostly she is sunny and cheerful and eager to let you bask in her cuteness. Nora charms everybody she meets. She even charmed the gruff GI doctor this time, who touched her chin and told her how cute she was.
These next three pictures show Nora with one of her favorite things, the sash on my robe. Like a cat, Nora loves any kind of string, drawstring, or cord. Notice in the second picture she's sort of hugging it. Sometimes she'll put it in her mouth and crawl around that way, like a little puppy. Boy, babies are weird.
Milo is talking a lot. In addition to kitty, baby, and ball, he says "hi" and "all done". He's also saying "baba" which I think means bottle. We're trying to learn "book" now, and he's halfway there. Milo has also learned to put his hands over his head to show how big he is. When I say "How big is Milo?" he grins and laughs and puts his hands over his head.
Milo gets a big kick out of putting things into other things and taking them out again, over and over. We have a bunch of wooden blocks stored in an old metal cookie tin with a round lid. Milo can entertain himself for 15 minutes by putting the lid on the cookie tin, taking it off, putting it back on, and taking it back off. He also loves his new toy with holes for balls to go through. Milo will put the balls through the holes, and he'll also put blocks through the holes, and rubber duckies, and socks, and the other day I caught him trying to stuff a teddy bear through the hole.
No comments:
Post a Comment