It was such a privilege to have my 5 colleagues and friends in town last week to write together. I got to know all of them better, and in one case, I got to know somebody for the very first time! We have a lot of connections in our research but somehow had never met before now. Now, after 3 days together, I feel like I know her, and she is lovely. They are all lovely and I was especially grateful to be able to spend a whole week with my friend who was here since last Sunday and have her spend time with Jake and the kids.
Another one of the women who was here is somebody I've known since grad school. I first met her when she was hugely pregnant with her twins, who are now 12. It was so fun to have her meet my kids and interact with them. She has a third child who is 4, like Nora and Milo, and she remarked a few times that she sort of feels sad and sorry for her third child because she is not a twin.
We ended the week with loose but enthusiastic plans to repeat our writing retreat next year. One of my colleagues has already volunteered to host us in her city, which is centrally located. It'd be so great to make this an annual event!
Just as exciting, in less than 2 weeks I get to go spend the weekend in the bay area! My old teacher friends are having our reunion, which we have most years, or at least every other year. There are 7 of us and one of us just had a baby last month, so we are traveling to her (she lives in San Francisco). I can't wait to meet her little baby, and to see everybody! I am also looking forward to returning to the bay area - I haven't been in a couple of years, and always enjoy going back.
No comments:
Post a Comment