Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Quiet

I am working from home today, with the windows open to feel the warm cross breeze. The weather in September reminds me of bay area weather; sunny and warm in the afternoons, cooler in the evenings and mornings. Little humidity. This signifies the onset of autumn.

I enjoy being in my office at work and talking with people, but I like being home too, taking advantage of having fresh air and lots of light and total quiet. I am trying to arrange it so that I can have at least one regular work day at home each week. This is harder than I'd anticipated, thanks to 3 weekly project meetings, monthly faculty / secondary ed / IRB / special committee meetings, individual student meetings, and twice monthly brown bags with my advisees (something new I'm instituting this year).

My favorite months of the year are anything that's not January - March.

Milo has glommed on to any muttered cuss that any grownup around him (okay...usually me...) might have uttered in, oh, the last two years. Which means that this morning I heard the kids having an angry argument upstairs, and then I heard Milo tell Nora, "Nora, close the god damn door!"

This morning I was walking down the hall of the kids' school after dropping them off in their classroom and a new art teacher passed me, and stopped and said, "Are you Nora's mom?" When I said yes she said I look exactly like her. How weird!

3 comments:

leela4 said...

Hey-you always wanted to look 4 3/4, right??

albe said...

She is also experiencing some frustration because she wants to wear the shoes that her classmates wear, but a lot of those shoes only start at size 8 and Nora is still 7.5 (which always correlates in the shoe store to "toddler" or "two year old")!

BrightStar (B*) said...

More like... Nora looks exactly like YOU! (She does!)