Monday, May 11, 2009

Little Things

Other people have told me that they wish they had stopped to record the little things their kids did when they were young, so here are a couple that I want to make note of.

-- Yesterday Nora and I were looking at a book of shapes and we came upon a diamond. I said "diamond" and she started singing "twinkle twinkle". It took me a minute to figure out the association!

-- Milo likes to say "oh shoot" and then laugh like it's the funniest thing he's ever heard. I know this came from me occasionally saying "oh shit" when I drop something or make a mess, so it's definitely time to clean up my language. (I've been converting it to "oh shoot" for him. Are kids allowed to say "shoot" these days?)

-- We have a bowl of water for the cats in our bathroom. For some reason the cats don't like to drink water from their bowl in the basement, and they MUST have the bathroom water bowl. The kids love to dunk their hands in that bowl or dump the water all over the bathroom, so we usually place the water bowl in the bathtub. Whenever it is time to go upstairs, Nora will excitedly climb the stairs saying "kitty water, kitty water!" over and over again. It is so funny that you can see their nefarious intentions because they're narrating their plans to themselves.

-- Milo loves to do "tricks" where Jake will turn him upside down and flip him over. He'll say "trick, trick" over and over again until we do it, and sometimes he'll flip his head backwards in anticipation of the trick. Milo's other new amusement is to walk on his knees. Nora will watch Milo do this and then say "walk walk...knees."

-- Nora calls her bunny "buddy" and her word for butterfly now is "buddy...fly." There's always a pause in between the buddy and the fly.

-- Milo is starting to get the hang of possessives. Last night he kept grabbing for my drink and I said "that's mama's drink" and then he said "mama's. mama's. mama's" over and over again. Then this morning Nora was playing with a car and Milo said "Noona's." Nora does it a little differently. If Milo is playing with the car Nora will say "Mino...car."

-- Both kids are starting to want to take off their clothes now and then. They can get their socks off and sometimes their sweaters or sweatshirts. We haven't gotten to pants yet, thank goodness!

No comments: