Friday, May 1, 2009

Typical Friday Afternoon


This afternoon, as in 4 p.m. on a Friday, I had one of the most annoying meetings ever. We have these meetings about once a month and it involves me and my colleagues and a bunch of old guys from another department who wear pocket protectors and blackberries on their belts, and we have to sit around for an hour and a half and listen to them go on and on about content knowledge and how smart they are and how dumb everybody else is and basically by the time these meetings are over I want to rip somebody's head off. Today was especially like that. 

Oh, it is such a breath of fresh air to come home after all of that nonsense. Milo and Nora both wanted me to identify everything in the world to them once I was home. What's this? What's this? What's this? What's this? Fridge. Knee. Trash can. Wall. They just kept searching for things to point to or touch, asking me "what's this?". When that got boring the just started identifying things themselves, showing me the stuff they knew. Eye. Nose. Socks. Belly. Pants. Sweater. Button. Backpack. Etc...

Then at dinner, I couldn't believe it, but Nora actually asked for more of something! She was eating peanut butter with yogurt, and wanted more. She was actually hungry! It was awesome. After dinner I had a cookie that was kind of melty (chocolate) and Milo got interested in it, so I gave him a piece, and he went wild over it. He totally loved it and got chocolate smeared all over his face. 

Here's a picture of the kids, I don't know why Milo looks so weird in it, but anyway Nora is reading a book about shapes which is one of their favorites. They can identify some shapes. Milo likes to bring books over to us and tells us "read!" Then he'll walk away and pick his own book, and sit down with it. He likes to read his book while we are reading our books at the same time. 

When it was time to go to bed I said "who wants to go night night?" and both kids raced to the stairs, laughing with glee.  I have no idea why that's their favorite thing ever, but they love to go upstairs and get ready for bed. Hopefully this weekend it'll be nice enough outside that the kids can play on the patio while Jake and I start to get it ready for spring and summer. It's been a cold spring so far, so I'm getting a late start on planting things.

No comments: