Saturday, May 2, 2009

One Step Back

Nora threw up again tonight. I didn't see it coming. I don't think I overstuffed her, because it was only at the end of the meal that she decided she didn't want any more, and I stopped feeding her at that point with a couple of spoonfuls left. She had some banana bread, some broccoli and cheese soup, spinach and potatoes with brown rice, and some pureed bananas. Then I gave her a cracker which she didn't want, and I gave her some Cheerios which she happily ate. Then I was eating a chocolate cookie again, like the other night, and I gave Milo some, and so Nora wanted a piece so I gave her a little bit. It was right after she ate that piece that she suddenly started crying and then she threw up her entire dinner.

Le sigh. It is impossible to fatten up this kid if she throws up her dinner. So she went to bed with an empty stomach, of course not wanting anything else after that. I don't think I overstuffed her, because I just offer her finger foods at the end of the meal and if she's full she won't eat it. 

The other time that Nora threw up was also after I'd given her a little piece of some chocolate something I'd been eating after dinner.  In fact that was a couple of months ago and tonight was the first time since that other time that I had offered her anything like that again. So I would say she is allergic to chocolate but she has had things like bread or muffins with chocolate chips in them and been fine. So maybe it is this store-bought paraffin type chocolate that is the problem? Or maybe it's just a coincidence. Obviously I won't be offering her anything like that again any time soon. 

It is hard to fully convey how completely defeated I feel when one of the kids throws up their dinner. All that work down the drain. They're never going to gain properly at this rate.

No comments: