Friday, August 7, 2009

Man Virus

A little virus seems to have visited our house that caused me a bit of intestinal upset yesterday. Come to think of it, I had a headache for a couple of days too, and felt kind of crummy, but chalked it up to the never-ending sleep deprivation. I thought that was the end of it until...

(Cue ominous music)

It attacked Jake. He was fine this morning but this afternoon he called me at work to inform me of his ailments. He wanted to know if I'd been sick too, because I think he was on the brink of throwing everything out of the fridge on suspicion of food poisoning. I confirmed that I'd had the same symptoms the day before. I hung up the phone and thought that was the end of it. But no! When I got home poor Jake was really, really sick. What had been a minor inconvenience for me was a major illness for him. At some point he even mentioned the possibility of dying. I am not making this up. I told him to take a nap and I would watch the kids for the rest of the afternoon, which I did. Later he got up and drank some vegetable broth and seemed to feel a little better.

Tonight after the kids were asleep I sat down at my computer, in my office. Jake sought me out, sprawled out on the futon, and proceeded to moan, grunt, and sigh in agony. I realized the error of my ways. I figured Jake had the same thing I had, a little virus. But no, I underestimated the gravity of the situation -- Jake has a MAN virus:


No comments: