We really need to find some back-up childcare, and quick. And yet I am strangely paralyzed about this and don't really know how to go about doing it. Which is silly, because all I need to do is send a few emails.
Milo & Nora like to put on the horrible, horrible kid music these days and "dance" to it. Why is it that the music they like is so grating to the adult ear?
A former student who once took a doctoral seminar I taught is now running a program on campus for high-achieving students of color and 1st generation college students. The students have scholarships and participate in a number of activities throughout their college years to support their success in college. She has convinced me to participate in a mentoring program in which I get matched up with an incoming freshman and mentor her/him for the next 4 years. It's like academic big brothers and sisters. I wonder what this will like, as I don't really know how to be a mentor in this capacity. But my own graduate students seem to like the way I mentor them, so hopefully I can do a decent job with a freshman. I have had (and continue to have) a number of really really awesome mentors of my own, both formally and informally, so it's time to turn the tables a bit.
I have 8 advisees right now, in various stages of thinking about / starting / collecting data / analyzing / finishing their theses. It feels like I've got 8 plates spinning on 8 sticks. With some of them, I just have to give them a fresh spin every now and then and they keep going and going and going on their own. With others, I have to constantly keep spinning them to keep them going. So far I have graduated one doctoral student, and my second one is set to graduate this year (fingers crossed). It is an exciting and time-consuming aspect of the job.
Nora's latest thing is that she wants me to kiss her finger/head/tummy or whatever hurts her. Sometimes she'll intentionally bang her hand on the floor so that she can then come over and have me kiss it. Milo's latest thing is to hand something to somebody and then say "here you go, Nora!" He's also saying "thank you, Nora" or "thank you, Milo" and half the time he gets the direction wrong. It is very cute.
It is currently 8:27 p.m., the kids' bedtime was 7:30, and yet just this minute I just heard somebody singing in their crib "ashes, ashes, we all fall down!"
1 comment:
ahh.... there are only 8 students in my methods class, too, and I am nervous about it.... here's to hoping that the experience is okay for the both of us (and the 16 students -- 8 in each class!).
Post a Comment