Sunday, November 22, 2009

Getting Ready

This weekend we were once again blessed with gorgeous weather. Today it actually reached 60 degrees! Yesterday it reached the low 50s, and given that December is just around the corner, we'll take it. The Thanksgiving ingredients are procured (mostly), the kids are all worn out from spending the entire weekend in various parks, and our soup-of-the-week is sitting pretty in the fridge.

As the holidays approach, with the season of eating and all, I've ramped up my exercise schedule. Once the kids shifted to only one afternoon nap I started avoiding my weekend morning runs because I felt guilty about leaving Jake with them. But I realized, if I'm ever going to run, it has to come at the expense of something. It's not like I can create time out of thin air to secure an hour for working out, so if I have to do it as the kids romp around in the park with Jake, so be it. He doesn't mind and they seem fine, so I don't know why I was feeling so guilty. Today at the halfway mark I ran into 3 of my neighbors and joined them for the rest of the run. Everything goes so much quicker and easier when there are people to talk to.

This afternoon found the whole neighborhood seemingly in the park, enjoying that last gasp of nice weather. The kids played with a bunch of their friends, we talked to their parents, and then came home to a house fragrant with the scents of lemon grass and coconut milk. It gets dark early now; it's just about all the way dark by 5 p.m. I like this, because it represents the changing of the seasons and the warm, cozy feeling that comes upon us when winter is at the door. It makes us all come inside and spend our evenings at the hearth, one eye on the pot bubbling on the stove. (Well, okay...this scene would be better if we actually had a working fireplace. But still.) The kids munched on "appetizers" of cheese and meatballs while Jake and I drank mugs of mulled cider.

Autumn is such a great time of year, even late autumn like right now before the snows come. It's still warm enough to be outside without being in pain. It's warm enough for skirts and knee socks, for knee-length boots and short coats, for cotton sweaters and jeans. The time for mufflers, mittens, layers, long underwear, wool, and flannel will come soon enough. For now, we just enjoy the season.

A couple of pictures from last weekend (when it was colder):



No comments: