Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bullets

Sometimes I just can't be coherent and stick to a theme.

  • The kids are adjusting to the new nanny, Buddy, and today there was no crying whatsoever when she came, and no crying when I left! Hooray, we are turning a corner.
  • Buddy took the kids to a child-friendly cafe, which has story times, child-friendly healthy food (with hidden pureed vegetables in half the dishes), and apparently some sort of play kitchen or something. Milo had a blast with all of the other kids and Nora was not amused and insisted in sitting in Buddy's lap the whole time. Because Buddy is friends with a lot of other nannies, the kids are getting some nice socialization with other kids these days. I didn't even know this cafe existed.
  • Today one of my former students (from when I taught high school in the mid-90s) emailed me. He described how today he used something in his job that he had learned from a trig class he took with me, and ended the email by thanking me. Awwwwwww.
  • My reward for being timely with doing my NSF grant reviews over the past couple of weeks is getting slammed with yet another proposal to review at the last minute, because one of the other panel members has a conflict of interest. Blech. I really like being on review panels for NSF. I like to see the research that others are proposing, and I like having a voice in the type of research that our government is going to fund. But at this point I am tired of working every night to review grant after grant. It takes a lot of work.
Speaking of which, I'd better get back to work now.

No comments: