Sunday, February 28, 2010

Weekend

It was a long, tiring weekend, the kids are better, but I have been sicker than ever. The end.

Well. Yesterday the twin whisperer came by to visit and took the kids to the library for a couple of hours. This particular library has a great kids area with a giant castle. It was so nice to get a quiet morning.

This afternoon Nora took an almost non-existent nap so after she got up I took her to the public gardens. Of course everything is under the snow this time of year but they have a giant conservatory and going there was the best dollar I've spent in months. It was about 85 degrees in there, and super humid. I breathed more easily, my cough quieted down, and Nora had a blast running around and watching the fish and the birds and the plants and trees. When we went in, Nora's hair was straight. By the time we left, it was a giant mess of curls. So cute.

Buddy likes to style Milo's hair into a mohawk, which is also super cute. His hair sort of naturally does that anyway because he has more on top than anywhere else. I don't know where Milo got his white-blonde hair but it sure is nice. It also has a frizzy, kinky consistency that is unlike anybody else's.

Bitch, Ph.D. wrote a nice blog post about milestones. Her point is that the important child milestones are the ones that allow parents to regain their freedom step by step. Among those she lists are wipes his/her own butt, reads for pleasure, can make own lunch, and bikes to/from school. We're a ways away from those but I'm appreciating the fact that they more or less feed themselves these days. I'm also looking forward to them a) feeding themselves responsibly (i.e. I could step away from the table without food ending up on the ceiling), b) playing independently, c) not minding if I cook dinner instead of hold them, d) not minding if I go to the bathroom. Those four things alone will greatly enhance our quality of life at home. Or I should say, my quality of life, since they don't really give a shit if Jake goes to the bathroom or cooks dinner.

No comments: