Sunday, August 15, 2010

Our Dumb Sweet Cat

We have this cat, Caspian, who is the sweetest cat you'll ever meet. He is huge (as in tall) and he acts more like a dog than a cat sometimes. He'll follow you around, he loves to cuddle, if there's a lap, he's on it. He has never once bitten or scratched anybody. This is really saying something given how Milo has tried to abuse him over the years, complete with body slamming him in his attempt to "hug". There have been times when Milo has actually hurt Caspian before I was able to get to him and tear him off, and all Caspian does when that happens is meow in pain. He never, ever defends himself. He is one seriously sweet cat.

Caspian likes all people and when Jake isn't around he'll cuddle up to me any time I sit down. But really, he's Jake's cat. This cat adores Jake.

Anyway, the one downside to Caspian is that he is a really dumb cat. For instance, when we put the baby gate up on the stairs, it took him about 6 months to realize that he could actually easily jump over the gate. This is after 6 months of watching our other, smaller cat do it every day.

The other annoying thing is that Caspian begs to eat, just like a dog, when it is meal time. I feed the cats twice a day and when it gets to be about that time, Caspian is all over me, weaving around my legs, meowing pitifully, excitedly jumping up and starting to run downstairs as soon as it looks like I'm about to get up. Which is fine, and then I'll go and feed him. But the annoying part is that Caspian then tends to forget that he has already been fed. So if I happen to still be home about an hour later, he will start the whole routine all over again, totally forgetting that he actually still has food in his bowl. And I'll say, exasperated, "Caspian, I already fed you!" but because he's a cat, he doesn't understand. And I have to literally walk downstairs with him, to his bowl, and then he'll suddenly remember, oh yeah, there's already food in my bowl, and I can totally eat some more right now! Score!

No comments: