Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Doc Students These Days!

Am I the only person who gets emails from totally random doctoral students at other institutions basically asking me to do their work for them? This happens once every few months. It is so obnoxious. The one I got today basically said "I'm interested in this topic that you've done research on for my dissertation. Could you please send me appropriate references that will inform me about this topic?" Sometimes I even get requests to send somebody papers.

I always want to respond in a nasty way to these. Something along the lines of "It's called a literature review. This is part of the job of writing a dissertation. Don't ask random professors to do your work for you." Also, where is this person's advisor?

I don't ever send nasty responses to these inquiries. I have fantasies about doing so after tenure, but I probably won't then either.

No comments: