Monday, October 4, 2010

Easy Come Easy Go?

The state ruled against us in the unemployment dispute and we are on the hook for a little over 2K to pay to our former nanny in unemployment wages.

...What a drag. Like we're made of money. (We're not).

We could appeal, but there would be a hearing, witnesses called on both sides, and given that the people involved are all closely connected to each other in this neighborhood, it would be a mess. One that we're probably not going to bother engaging in because it kind of seems like the way the rule is written, we don't have much to stand on.

Still...what a drag.

But, you know, life isn't fair and all and I think about all the ways in which we have basically won the lottery. We're of course way, way more lucky than not. We have incredibly generous parents who give to us all the time. We have generous friends who have helped us out when we needed it. We have more than we deserve, really, we're rich beyond belief by the standards of most of the world's population. And, in the end, it's just money. I know that if something had happened on the day that Milo was endangered, if he had broken his neck or something, then I would have gladly, eagerly paid any amount to take that back. I would have been begging to have the situation be like this instead, where all I had to do was pay a paltry 2K and have him be okay.

No comments: