Monday, January 3, 2011

Not a Girly Girl

Nora is totally not into dolls. (However, she loves her new little dollhouse and tiny people in it, and we are composing a thank-you note soon to Grandma Lori & Grandpop Bob. It was a hit!). But big dolls, not so much. She also will not allow me to put her hair into pony tails, or put barrets or bows into her hair. Nora's favorite activities are basically reading books and coloring/drawing/painting. She also won't let me put her in dresses, and she doesn't like her mary jane shoes, always opting for her green sneakers instead.

Jake's mom got Nora a doll and a stroller for Christmas. Since that time, Milo has stuffed it full of stuffed animals and likes to push them around. Nora has mostly ignored it. Last year I got her some dress-up clothes, including some frilly tutu-like skirts and things, and I gave her this old (fake) mink stole that has been in the family for a long time, but she has zero interest in any of these things.

The ponytail and braid thing is just a losing battle. Even if I get one into her hair, she'll pull it out. But tomorrow I am going to attempt to get her into a dress by telling her that it's a tunic or a long shirt. This is a gorgeous little dress that my mother made for me when I was Nora's size, and I want to show it off at school. We'll see how this goes over!

I don't know why Nora eschews girly things so much. Maybe it's because she has a twin brother, or maybe she's just fundamentally not into it. Who knows. I'm okay with it, and of course being more tomboy-like than not will probably serve her well in many areas of life. I'm cool with Nora being who she is, and so far at least there's no worry about princess crap.

It'd be nice if she'd let me do her hair once in a while, though!

No comments: