Nora: I'm Kevin the crane!
Jake: Her name is Nora.
Miss Jenna: Oh, okay. Nora! And what's your name? (Turning to Milo)
Milo: I'm Cranky!
(Miss Jenna is starting to get that look in her eyes)
Milo: Cranky the crane!
Jake: His name is Milo.
Because of course our kids can't just be...normal.
Also, on the way home today:
Nora: Balloon, would you like some konichiwa pancakes?
Jake: What does konichiwa taste like?
Nora: Konichiwa tastes like...
Milo: ...buttered toast!
We had two birthday parties to attend this weekend. The first was yesterday at our friend's house, a 5-minute walk from our house. It was 9:30 - 11:30, perfect timing for not interfering with naps or lunch. It was nice outside, and the kids played out back, put on temporary tattoos, and ran around in the grass. There was a pinata that the birthday girl's mom made, not an actual pinata, but one in which a bunch of ribbons were hanging down from it and each kid got to pull a ribbon. One of the ribbons made the bottom fall out and the innards spill to the ground. Much better than trying to bash it open!
Inside, there were crackers, cheese, vegetables, fruit, and miniature birthday cupcakes. Milo ate one bite of the miniature cupcake, and then asked if he could have a carrot. He ate that, and some fruit and cheese. It was a perfect snack. Afterwards, the kids went back outside to play a little treasure hunt game, and the treasure that they each got was a magic wand, which was basically a wooden dowel that the mom had painted and tied different colored ribbons to. Simple, easy, and the kids loved them. It was a beautiful and perfect party. In lieu of presents, each kid brought a picture or a drawing and then they made a collage out of all of them for the birthday girl's room.
Today we had another one at the little gym. Kids played on the gymnastics equipment, did some games, and then ate cheese pizza, lemonade, and cake. They each got a water bottle and a balloon to take home. I feel kind of gross after eating the pizza and the cake.
I really like the former type of birthday party over the latter, and it's what I'd prefer to do. The former type is more work and you see it more with families where there's a parent who doesn't work full time. It also works better in the warmer months. The kids are old enough this year that I will probably have a little party for them on their next birthday, but I'm thinking our speed is more the homemade pinata and magic wand type of party. I like the way the stay at home moms organize their kids' lives better (simpler parties, homemade crafts, homemade slow-cooked meals), so I want to be like that, but sometimes it gets hard because I don't have as much time. I'm good with the food part, but not so great with the crafts or organized activities.
No comments:
Post a Comment