(A small goal feels good).
So my upper body strength is shit! My legs are strong, probably from running, and my core abdominal muscles are decent, but my arms and chest and especially my shoulders are super weak. A lot of this is related to gender. We women do fine in class with the leg stuff, and when it comes to planks and other core strength stuff I find it easier than the guys, but as soon as I have to use my shoulders to heft something over my head, forget about it. It's not pretty!
Anyway, I like my gym teacher because when I said that I wanted to get strong enough to do that kind of a pull up, he just accepted that immediately as a reasonable goal. He showed me how to start at a flexed arm hang and then slowly lower myself down, the slower the better, and do 5 reps of that every time after class to build strength. Hopefully this is a goal I can achieve sometimes in 2012.
I really like focusing on strength and fitness instead of other stuff, like weight. Maybe because it seems way more doable. I mean, it's kind of a pain in the ass when it's 5:00 and I don't feel like doing it after a long day at work, but I'm always glad I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment