Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Letting Go

It has been super warm here. We haven't had any snow accumulation at all this winter, so far, which is unheard of at this point. Today the high was 50 and it was sunny.

It's supposed to turn cold and snowy sometime tonight, so we took advantage of what might be the last nice day for a while and went to the botanical gardens. It was downright pleasant outside.


Look at that bare ground. So weird. Also, there are buds on my lilac bush. The poor thing thinks it's March instead of January. We also went into the greenhouse, which is warm like a tropical forest, with exotic plants and birds. Here is a self portrait:


It is always fun to be in this warm environment in the dead of winter (even though it hasn't exactly felt like the dead of winter lately). The greenhouse is big enough that you sort of feel like you're outside. It smells terrific. It's kind of nostalgic, although I can't actually say what it makes me nostalgic for. A combination of San Diego, St. Louis, and Kyoto in the summer.

2012 is shaping up to be a good year for me to permanently let go of some bad habits. Some of those things have been thrust upon me, unanticipated, but on reflection I've realized this is an opportunity for me to make my own positive choice to leave some bad habits behind for good. It feels good to make that decision myself and commit to it. When I make serious changes they tend to be for life, so it's not a trivial thing.

One of those things might be meat. We eat very little meat, and what we do eat is limited to chicken and seafood, but I think it may be time for me personally to finally let go of my attachment to those things. I also think it is time to try to move away from dairy as well, to some degree anyway. I could certainly consume less of it than I do now. None of this applies to the kids. I am concerned with their need for iron and protein and fat, and will do whatever I can to get those things into them. But when you get to be my age, things are different. I'm too old now to ignore issues like cholesterol and risks for heart disease and cancers.

I'm feeling very positive about letting go of the bad stuff and embracing a more healthy future, one that I continue to fill with hard exercise, fresh foods, enjoyable solitude, and time with Jake and the kids, family, and true friends.

No comments: