Monday, February 6, 2012

Grrrr!

I can't sleep tonight because right before bed I discovered something that has been bothering me all night. I'm on a research group and we've been writing up some results from some studies for two short papers for a conference submission. I took the lead on one paper and my post doc took the lead on the other. She finished her draft a few days ago, and I am still working on mine. So in the intervening time Mentor took a look at her draft and revised and shortened it. Then he sent out his revisions and when I opened it up I couldn't believe my eyes. He had rewritten her intro and lit review substantially, and his rewrite turned it into an exact replica of MY intro and lit review for my paper -- without ever having read my draft!

You know you've been writing together too much over the years when you independently write what is basically the exact same intro and lit review for two different papers. It is a better fit for my paper than for the other paper though!

Moral of the story, I think: Don't read emails right before bed!

No comments: