Sunday, February 5, 2012

SPD Picnic 1977

This morning Nora dug through her shirt drawer, which must contain about 30 or 40 different shirts, most of them gorgeous hand-me downs or gifts of really lovely quality. There is lovely stitching on these shirts, delightful patterns, nice sleeve detailing, etc. I got sort of depressed looking at all of those beautiful shirts and realizing that Nora will pretty much only wear three of them: her school t-shirt, a fishing t-shirt, and a bikemonkey t-shirt.

Sometimes I worry that people keep giving us more and more clothes because they might see how Nora and Milo are dressed and conclude that we can't afford to buy them enough clothes. Recently their teacher gave us a big bag of terrific hand me downs. So far I have convinced Nora to wear only one thing out of the whole bag. But the truth of the matter is, it's just not a battle I want to fight. If they're old enough to pick out clothes and have an opinion, I don't feel like I should enforce different clothes onto them against their wills.

This morning all three of the shirts Nora likes were dirty, so Nora was pretty much at a loss. Wearing any of the other 37 shirts is pretty much unthinkable. Then she spied, what's that? A t-shirt, on a different shelf, high up. "What's that, Mommy?" She asked. I pulled it down. It's on old t-shirt of mine that says "SPD Picnic 1977". Nora breathed a sigh of relief. Finally, another acceptable shirt to wear! So today she happily wore the t-shirt I had back when I was 6 years old.



No comments: