Saturday, June 30, 2012

Great Day

Today was a great day. Jake was all freaked out because it was supposed to be 100 today (although my computer only said 94), and I said, why not go to the pool?

We woke up, and the kids played in the park with Jake while I took a morning run before it got too ghastly hot. I recently downloaded the free app Map My Run (works for walks too) and was pretty psyched to discover that my pace is the same as what my average pace was back in San Diego 9 years ago. Not blisteringly fast, not even fast or medium fast, but definitely faster than, like, a year ago! Between walking and running I do 12-16 miles a week which is, I know, basically nothing. But I also have my gym class twice a week on top of that, and it's pretty much what I can manage right now what with working and the kids, and it feels nice.

Then I took Milo to the grocery store and he was completely delightful, like he always is at the store.

Then after the kids' nap we packed up our stuff and went to the pool, which was super fun. It was in the mid nineties and the pool was like bathwater, not at all cold, and I've got the only two kids on the planet who still start shivering and shaking after 10 minutes. They'd both be literally shivering all over, with blue lips, but insist they were fine and wanted to stay in. I made them get out every so often and warm up in the sun. Our friends joined us with their baby and everybody had a great time. Thanks to swimming lessons both kids really enjoy being in the water now, even though neither of them is even close to swimming. Nora was great about putting her face under water and taking risks and trying to swim a little bit. She has perfect form, floating on her back, but she still sinks like a rock. Milo does too. I think the fact that neither of them has any protective fat means they sink and get cold, but they still have a blast.

We had so much fun that we stayed through dinner time, eating apples and peanut butter and cherries, plums, and homemade granola bars, and only left when it was bedtime. Driving home at 7:15 it was still 91 degrees out.

Milo: Summer is my favorite season. And winter. Summer and winter. And fall.

Me too, Milo - but especially that part about summer.

No comments: