Sunday, October 28, 2012

Jeans

Tonight I'm cutting Nora's bangs and she must have taken in parts of our previous weird conversation, because suddenly she says, "Mommy, when I grow up I'm going to look just like you, because I'm your daughter."

Me: You probably won't look exactly like me, but you might look something like me, because we share the same genes.

Milo: I have jeans too!

I don't remember identifying with my parents to this degree. How normal is this? Nora's attachment is still extremely strong, and she'd rather be with me than do anything else. She always wants me to play with her. I wonder if Nora is just wired a little differently than me in this manner. I remember being pretty independent. However, there is some glimmer of separation that rears its head sometimes. The other day, the kids were pestering Jake to watch a video. Jake said, "What's so great about videos anyway?"

Milo: Watching them.

Nora: And it gives us a little time away from you.

Me and Jake: ?!?

Jake: Well you don't need a video for that!

Me: By all means, you can have time to yourselves any time you want!

Nora & Milo: [Blank stares]

Tonight I was making dinner and Nora was in a foul mood. Milo was happily playing a game with Jake, but Nora didn't want to do that and instead preferred to be in the kitchen with me engaging in a non-stop monologue of complaints and hardships. I finally gave her a carrot to grate to keep her occupied. The next time I took a look she had grated away half the carrot, but tonight, at dinner, she actually ate some of the carrot. I think that might be a first.

No comments: