Friday, August 13, 2010

It's Back

Nora's reflux was back last night. Poor thing. She hasn't woken with this in ages, maybe it's been a year or so? But last night it was back and she was in a lot of pain, burping and coughing just like Jake does when he has reflux. After she burped she would cry and complain that her nose hurt. Jake said that when he has reflux, those burps bring up acid and phlegm and I can imagine that would sting and just feel terrible.

When I recently took the kids to the doctor for a check-up I asked her about keeping Nora on Prevacid for her reflux. Prevacid is the more serious medication for it, and long-term use of it has shown a loss of bone density. That's in adults. There haven't been enough kids on it to do a study on kids, but it wouldn't be surprising. Given that potential concern and the fact that Nora seemed better, her doctor suggested we experiment with cutting back her dosage to see how she would do. So I cut it back a little bit, not a lot, but then tonight happened. So I guess it is still an issue for her.

She couldn't really fall asleep until 4:30 a.m. At one point I was in the nursery with her, sitting on the chair next to her crib, and she was sleeping sitting up. Little hands wrapped around the bars to keep herself upright. It hurt her to lie down, but she was so tired. I propped her up with me on the sofa until she fell really good and asleep, and then she was able to get a few hours.

2 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

The image of Nora sleeping while clinging to the crib sounds heartbreaking. Poor little thing. Does Milo have reflux, too? Sounds painful. :(

I have been reading on bloglines, so I don't know when you updated your template, but I like it!

albe said...

Thanks! I was getting bored with the old one. Fortunately Milo doesn't have reflux. He did as a baby but outgrew it, as most do. I don't know why Nora hasn't.