To wit: Friday was our first ever Parent Teacher Conference (tm). I mean, you only have one First Parent Teacher Conference ever, in your kid's life. And I missed it. I was in Columbus, Ohio eating bad conference food and trying to stay awake during plenary speeches. I know! I suck.
And then today was a weird day. Milo freaked out at school for some reason. There was a man outside the kids' classroom window on a ladder, doing some repair, and when Milo saw that man he just lost it. He became hysterical and was crying and crying for Daddy, and wanting to know where Daddy was. He seemed afraid. He has never been like this at school before. They called Jake. When I called back a bit later, he had fallen asleep in his teacher's arms on the playground, which is also very strange.
I was talking with his teacher about all of the things that was going on for Milo over the weekend (me being out of town, Halloween, grandparents visiting, crap food full of HFCS and total overstimulation, lousy sleeping, etc.) Then I mentioned I'm going out of town again this Wednesday. And she was all, "Oooooh. No." Big sounds of foreboding in her voice. And then I said weakly, in my defense, "Well, it's a short trip. I'll be back Friday." But I got the feeling the damage was done.
I was relaying this anecdote to Jake tonight. He was kind of indignant that anybody would have an issue with what I do. He said, "Well, not every mother can be unimportant!" Hah. Frankly it is nice to have somebody be a little bitchy on my behalf sometimes! One very nice thing is that Jake is always 100% on my side when it comes to my job. He never questions it or questions what I need to do to do my job. (I do enough of that questioning myself, right?) He is more of a cheerleader for my job than I am. It's nice to have somebody on your side when you are secretly realizing that you suck because you are abandoning your babies two weeks in a row.
No comments:
Post a Comment