Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Crashing Blanket

You know what's really boring to read about? 1) People's dreams. 2) People's lists of stuff they have to do. 3) People's complaints about how they're sick. So naturally I'm going to do #3.

I got a cold, and then got over it and got better (moved on to the post-cold bronchitis stage), but then I got a post-cold sore throat. It's super super sore and has been this way now for almost a week. Something that needs antibiotics? My approach to going to the doctor tends to be, "Wait a couple of weeks and see what happens." Because it's time consuming and irritating to go to the doctor so she can say, "Yeah, looks like you've got a sore throat there. Clear liquids." But dang, my throat is killing me.

**********

It was very cold today and I felt very crummy so I was lazy and stayed inside with the kids. When we go on outings, they do well. When I don't fully occupy their time with novel experiences, they turn their energy to other things, like fighting with each other. Or, in Nora's case, picking arguments with me. That child could start an argument with a rock. I think she gets a perverse pleasure out of arguing about things she knows are fruitless to argue about. It doesn't matter. It's not the destination of the argument that she cares about, it's the journey.

***********

Theoretically speaking, sometimes a professor gets a hold of her tenure case. I'm not saying this happened to me or anything. But, hypothetically, it would be a very strange experience to read the letters that 7 white guys in their sixties wrote about your worth. Not bad, but definitely...surreal.

As odd as it is, I think our dept. officially releases the full tenure case to professors after they officially get the stamped tenure letter (which always happens in the summer). In that time I may have more to say about this.

***********

I did 17 push ups in a row (on my toes, thank you) because I am incredibly motivated by praise from authority figures. Unresolved childhood issues can ironically spur a lifetime of achievement in never-ending fruitless attempts to garner positive attention and acclimation from others.

************

That thing about service increasing really is true. Somehow I've suddenly added to my service load not just IRB but also being a series editor for a practitioner journal and a strand leader for a conference and then I agreed to write this thing that's a research brief for practitioners for our national organization. I have tried so hard to say no over the years that I feel like now it is time to step up to the plate and say yes more. But I don't want to write that research brief thing. But I'll do it. But I don't want to.

************

The kids think it's hilarious to call Jake Mrs. Wimpydimple. Also, Nora made up a song about a crashing blanket that Milo thinks is the funniest thing he's ever heard. Crashing blanket! Who ever heard of a crashing blanket? That's just crazy talk!

1 comment:

Ianqui said...

Haha, it's so true. Reading about dreams and to-do lists is super-boring. I'm less opposed to sick posts, but nevertheless I appreciate that you added extra content to this one.