Thursday, March 15, 2012

Ides of March

Twelve days ago, on March 3, Jake took this picture:


Today, I took this one. A few days ago we were cleaning out our garage and I noticed something. Every fall I put many of our pots from the back patio into the garage so that the snow and ice doesn't crack them over the winter. Some of these pots have perennials. Then in April I take them back out again. But this week I noticed some of the plants were already growing, so I took some of the pots out of the dark garage and set them outside. And today, on March 15, this one is already blooming:


And our lilac bush has buds on it. In March!


Yesterday as the kids played outside I cleared away a lot of dead leaves and plant remains from some of our flower beds. Once I did this, I saw the tiniest bit of green poking out from the ground, wowed at how our perennials are coming up already. But then this afternoon I walked around and looked again, and there was literally an inch and a half of plants showing through the ground. They grew an inch overnight. Is that even possible? I feel like I could crouch down and stare, and if I watched closely enough, I'd see them wiggling their way towards the sun, like in a sped-up film.

Today I walked to gym class (16 minutes, my ipod told me) in shorts and a t-shirt. I walked back home an hour later, and it was still warm even though it was dinner time. As I reached my street I congratulated our neighbor, who just got tenure this afternoon. He was sitting on his front porch in bare feet, with a well-deserved beer in his hand.

I really love living here. Living with seasons suits my personality very well. A perverse part of me knows that I relish spring and summer so deeply because of its contrast to winter. By the time October comes, I'm ready for the romantic feeling of autumn. I enjoy feeling the highs and the lows, and the changing seasons is just one manifestation of that.

No comments: