Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bird versus Bird



What a hard day Sunday was. Nora and Milo both didn't want to go down for their morning nap, and we only got them to sleep an entire hour after they were supposed to sleep. There is just something about TWO crying, fussy babies at the same time to make you go nuts. I had to leave the room at one point, I was just so frustrated. For the afternoon nap, Milo went down fine and Nora wouldn't go down at all. I took her into bed with me and that didn't work either. I was so tired, and Jake took her. I fell asleep and 20 minutes later woke to her screaming her head off. Turns out Jake hadn't put her down at all, he'd just put her in a bouncy seat to play for 20 minutes until she finally got so tired that she was going ballistic. I took Nora into bed and she fell asleep immediately. For the evening nap, Nora just skipped it entirely. She wouldn't go down at all. After more than half an hour, we gave up. On top of all that, neither baby would nurse all day long. I wasn't able to have any successful nursing sessions and it seems that we're down to middle-of-the-night and early morning as far as successful nursing goes.

On the bright side, summer seems to have arrived, and Sunday was wonderfully, delightfuly warm and humid. Exercise is good for anger management, so I took them out in the jogger in the late afternoon. As I was plodding along I went under a tree and felt a gentle "plop" on the top of my head. A bird had taken a crap on my head. Fortunately, I was wearing a hat.

When I take the babies out I always get a lot of remarks from people. Yesterday I heard lots of "oh how cute!", and "look Taylor/Madison/Jayden/Niko, two babies!", and "You've got a full house", and "Congratulations!". Lots of smiles, which is lovely. Also, I passed one older lady and she took a look at me and the babies and said "they're going to get some red toes out like that!"

Oh my gosh, it was my first mommy drive by!

The funny thing is that I had actually been worrying about their feet. It was a hot day, and it was late in the day (5 p.m.) and the sun was low in the sky. The jogger has a good canopy but it's not good enough to cover them 100% when the sun is so low. So their feet were poking out into the sun, and the path I was on was about half shaded and half in the sun as we ran in and out of trees. I was concerned about their little feet poking out, but the problem is that they don't keep socks on. They kick them right off, and shoes too, and blankets as well, plus it was hot out. So the old lady's comment bothered me since I'd already been feeling concerned about their feet in the sun. (They can't wear sunscreen before 6 months).

Then I figured oh well, it's 5 p.m., for crying out loud, in a northern state, and we're in the shade half the time anyway, they'll be okay. It's funny how much that busybody's comment bugged me. Their feet are fine, of course. And if I had to choose whether to take shit from a bird versus an old lady, I'd choose the bird.

No comments: