Night 9: 5 wake-ups, the first at 1:17. We fed them at 3:30 which was late, but that's when they woke to eat. All of the non-eating wake-ups were Nora. Ah, Nora. Nora, Nora, Nora.
Night 10: 7 wake-ups, I think, 6 Nora and 1 Milo. Nore woke first at 11:36. Between about 11:30 and 1 she seemed to be suffering in some way, or something was bothering her sleep but we couldn't figure out what it was. We changed her and held her and she finally fell asleep at around 1:10 and they both slept until 3:10 at which point they woke and we fed them. The only thing I've learned so far is that if the first wake-up happens early, like before 12:30 or 1 a.m., then that means a bad night is coming. Then our twin whisperer came and told us that her other baby (her Tu/Thurs baby) now sleeps from 7:30 p.m. until 6 or 6:30 a.m. and this kid is only 3 months old! (Although he already weighs more than Nora and Milo). There is no justice in the world of baby sleep.
Night 11: 3 wake-ups, the first around 12:30. Nora woke up and needed to be nursed back to sleep, and then she woke up again at 2 and Jake was in there with her. I was in bed listening to her fuss, and then cry, and then scream, as if Jake was poking her with a sharp stick or something. So I finally gave up and got out of bed and stormed into the nursery saying "WHAT is the problem? Why don't you just feed her?" "It's too early," he retorted, "I don't think she's hungry." So I took her and rocked her until she was juuuust about asleep, and then Milo woke up and started fussing. I thought I could lay Nora down and pick up Milo and feed him, but of course she started to scream the minute her body hit the crib mattress. So Jake came in and we fed them. Milo woke once in the early morning, but went back to sleep fairly easily.
Night 12: 4 wake-ups, the first at 11. Nora woke 3 times before the feeding and twice had to be held and rocked to go back to sleep. I fed Milo at 2:45 and Jake fed Nora at 3:20. Milo woke at 6:30 but I convinced him to go back to sleep for another 45 minutes.
Night 13: We have attained the holy grail. Just one wake-up. Nora woke at 2:15, we fed them at 2:20, and they slept until 7. How do we do that again? Did it happen because Nora went to sleep a little later than usual (8 p.m.)? Did it happen because she had a hard time and cried for about 15 minutes that evening while Jake tried to soothe her? Or was it just a coincidence?
Night 14: 3 wake-ups, the first at 12:41. First it was Nora, who needed to be rocked back to sleep, then it was Milo, then they both fell asleep and didn't wake up again until 3:15 at which point we fed them. Not too terrible.
Last night I went to bed late because we had friends over for dinner. It is awkward to do that because we have to spend the hour between 6:30 and about 7:45 feeding the babies and putting them down. So we can either eat a super-early dinner, which we tend to do, or eat a super-late dinner that I can't even start cooking until 7:45, which we did last night. Then our friends (who are great) wanted to stay for a long time but did eventually leave after I took out my contacts and put on my glasses, and brought my water jug down to fill up, among other various hints. But anyway, we still went to bed about an hour and a half late so this morning when Milo woke up and started talking at 6:40 I thought, no way, it is WAY too early to get up. I need another 20 minutes! I tried to give Milo a pacifier but he wanted none of it, he just wanted to talk and play, so I left him alone and went back to bed for 20 minutes. Except I fell into a deep sleep and 20 minutes turned into 45 minutes, at which point Nora started making noise and woke me up. I came into the nursery to see that Milo had turned himself 90 degrees and had fallen back asleep, which made me a little sad. Jerky mama was too tired to get up so she abandoned her baby to play by himself, at which point he gave up waiting and went back to sleep. Oh well -- it's not like he cried or anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment