Monday, June 30, 2008

In Which I am a Lousy Advisor

Things are not going well.

Nora is not getting better. She is still eating very small amounts, and a few days ago she gagged and threw up a little bit while eating solids. Since that time she hasn't wanted much at all to do with solids. That was her one eating strength, the solid foods. So now Nora isn't drinking much, and she's eating next to nothing, and yet she is still vomiting. Last night she threw up all over everything, and this was after almost two vomit-free days. It isn't still the shots, and she doesn't have a virus any more, and yet she is still vomiting.

So today it's back to the doctor. I originally had a meeting with one of my doctoral students this afternoon. He scheduled this meeting with me about a month ago, and he probably did so because I've been sort of slow this summer. Slow to read and comment on his work, which isn't the way I typically operate, but I've been slow with everything. I have a book chapter due in 5 weeks and I haven't even started it.

I had to change his meeting time from this afternoon to late this morning, because I need to take off from work and drive Jake to and from the doctor as he needs to have his own medical procedure, one that involves drugs good enough to prevent him from driving. I hate moving meetings like that and inconveniencing my students, but I had no choice. And now, of course, Nora needs to go to the doctor this morning. So I have to cancel my appointment with my student yet again. I'm becoming that type of advisor. The one you can't count on to keep her meetings, or to get your draft read in a timely manner. I hate this. My first doctoral student, who graduated a year ago, wrote a letter to my department chair and the dean about what a fabulous advisor I was. Now half of those things that prompted him to write that letter have probably gone down the tubes. How do you remain reliable when you have kids who get sick on their own schedules and not yours?

Plus, what on earth are we going to do about poor Nora?

No comments: