Monday, June 16, 2008

Sleep Statistics Week 4

Day 22: Milo woke once and Nora woke twice, and we fed them, and Nora woke one more time early in the morning. So I guess that was 4 wake ups again.

Day 23: Nora woke once at 9 before we went to bed. Then there were 5 more wake ups, and an early (6:20) start to the day, so it was a messed up night, but the one shining beacon of light was the fact that Milo did not get up to eat. Other than waking a couple of times when Nora was screaming on the changing table, Milo slept through the night. For the first time. Oh, please let this be the start of something new!

Day 24: Well, it was a pretty good night! Nora woke once briefly at 12:30, then not again until 2:45 or so to eat. They both woke at 6 but both went back to sleep after getting pacifiers -- at least, as far as I know. There was no crying, but Milo has been known to play in his crib in the morning for quite a while.

Day 25: Nora woke 4 times and Milo woke once at 4 a.m. to eat, so I guess the sleeping-through-the-night thing isn't foolproof yet. As usual, the longest stretch I got in a row was 2 hours.

Day 26: Milo slept through again! Hooray! Nora woke 4 times, which I guess is her typical pattern these days although I hate to admit it.

Day 27: Nora woke 6 or 7 times, she cried, she woke Milo, it was a mess, the longest I slept was between 3 and 6 a.m.

Day 28: Nora only woke twice, I think, which is awesome. Milo woke once around 4:45 but went back to sleep with a pacifier.

So Nora's sleep doesn't really seem to be getting any better, and I don't think it's worth keeping track of it anymore. Milo is sleeping through the night more and more, which is encouraging. I just don't know what we're going to do about Nora yet. She also almost never naps for more than half an hour, so it's a mess. I don't know. I guess at some point we need to start letting her cry or else we'll probably end up with a 2-year old who is still waking every couple of hours, and that wouldn't be good for anybody. I'm just so afraid to do it.

I feel like maybe at some point, when they were 3 or 4 months old or so, I was somehow getting 4 and 5-hour stretches of sleep. I can't remember. For such a long time now it's been so much worse than that, and I never sleep more than 3 hours at a time. I really honestly feel like I'm at the end of my rope and I am going insane. It's got me so messed up that I am actually having insomnia. I have a terrible time sleeping when it's time to go to bed, because I'm so filled with anxiety about Nora waking. I often can't really fall asleep until after she wakes for the first time. Which is ridiculous, because the only other chance I have at a 2-3 hour stretch of sleep is when we first go to bed. My insomnia and anxiety ruins that chance.

This morning I weighed Nora on the cat scale and she only weighed 12 pounds. I hope the scale is wrong, because that would mean she's totally fallen off the growth charts. She's spending all of her calories on writhing around in the night not sleeping, and I know this can't be good for her. I'm kind of worried about her. Every information source I read says that all healthy 6-month olds don't need to eat at night and should be able to sleep through, so does that mean we should try to help her do that and let her cry? But if she is only 12 pounds and isn't even on the growth chart anymore, maybe she doesn't count as a normal, healthy 6-month old and I keep thinking she probably needs those extra calories in the night. Boy, it's a puzzle. A puzzle that is slowly driving us all mad.

No comments: