Monday, June 9, 2008

Sleep Statistics Week 3

Day 15: 3 wake ups, all Nora. She woke at 10:30 but went back down quickly, woke at 2:45 at which point we fed them, and again at 5:20 and needed some rocking to go back to sleep. Could be worse.

Day 16: 4 wake ups, you guessed it, Nora. 11, 11:15, 1:30, and 2 something to eat. The kids slept until about 6:45.

Um, I've read somewhere that most babies "settle", i.e., sleep all the way through the night, between 4 and 6 months. You hear that, kids? You only have a week left to settle!

Day 17: 4 wake ups, all Nora, 11, 1, 2 (we fed them then), and 4:30. Let's not let 4 become a pattern, okay? Nora?

Day 18: 4 wake ups, half and half. Nora woke sometime, I can't remember, and then again at 1:30, and I fed her just because I needed to feed somebody due to having plugged duct, then Milo woke at 3 and we fed both of them, and then Milo woke again an hour or two later because we were having a huge thunderstorm. He seemed scared. But Jake comforted him and he went back to sleep.

Day 19: Only 2 wake ups, Nora at 2 and Milo at 3:30 when we fed them! So Nora didn't go to sleep until 8 p.m. because she spent a lot of time crying as Jake held her before bedtime. She just had a hard time settling down. I know this has happened before when there were other good nights. So I hope this doesn't mean Nora needs to cry before having a good sleep night!

Day 20: 3 wake ups, Nora at 11:36, Nora at 2:30 when we fed them, and Nora sometime early in the morning, but Jake convinced her to go back to sleep until 7:15. So, 2, 3, 4 wake ups isn't perfect, but better than the numbers we were seeing in week 1.

Day 21: Nora had a couple of wake ups before we went to bed, then after bed she woke 4 times, I think. It's already a little hazy. Yes, I remember now, it was 4 times.

So what have I learned from 3 weeks of keeping track? The most important thing is that things are objectively getting better even if it doesn't feel like that. Although it's hard to make accurate calculations when I sometimes used numbers like "4 or 7", or "a hundred thousand", roughly in the first week the babies woke an average of about 7 times a night. In the second week, they woke an average of a little over 3 and a half times a night, and this week it was a little under 3 and a half times a night. So maybe we've plateaued here, but at least things are heading in the right direction.

No comments: