Nora cried today when I had to leave her at school. She didn't want me to go to work. Sometimes she cries like such an adult, tears welling up but she tries not to let it out. I felt sad for her. Her sweet teacher held her and hugged her as I left.
I went to the office to pay my bill, and then after 5 or 10 minutes I returned to the hall outside the classroom to look in the little window in the door. I saw Nora at the table, drawing on a piece of paper with another little girl. Her teacher saw me and gave me the thumbs up. She seemed fine. I slipped away without them knowing I had returned to take a quick peek.
The kids are going through so many changes right now. They lost their nanny (but they haven't even mentioned her once, in all this time), they are now going to a new school, they are transitioning to separate rooms and big-kid beds (if those beds ever arrive), their grandparents were here for a week and just left, their other grandparents are coming for the weekend, and Mommy is going away on yet another trip. It's a lot for any two-year old.
No comments:
Post a Comment