Monday, February 28, 2011

Heart Attack Waiting to Happen

Blargh! How can I work 8 hours a day, come home and work for 3 more hours, and still not be caught up on my work? I have way too much to do every week for the 55 hours I have allotted to working. Also, whine whine, I am getting tired of working all the time, especially at night. I just want to watch a freaking movie or something.

I am soooooo gonna work fewer hours when my 800 allotted tasks get completed by the end of the semester. Seriously. I am going to work fewer hours this summer. I think it'll be less to get done this summer...maybe?

This morning in the car I was listening to a program about heart disease and the three big killers diet, no exercise, and stress. My diet is okay (not very animal-based), but no exercise, check, stress, check. I am doing NO exercise because honestly, all this work plus spending time with my kids doesn't even leave enough hours at night to sleep as much as I should. Much less exercise. I made a rather deliberate deal with the devil this academic year in which I said I would allow myself to work as much as I needed to (within the constraints of being a mom) and let everything else slide. You know, stuff like exercise. And decorating my kids' rooms, which I still haven't properly done. And home repair projects. I feel guilty about this because the stress is so bad that I can't sleep well and feel lousy and I know exercise would help with that, and I know all of this stuff is bad for my health. But my calculations involved the fact that I'm still in my thirties (barely), so hopefully this kind of horrible lifestyle won't kill me. I'm sure I wouldn't do this to myself at 50. Hopefully. And it'll all get a lot better by June, or at the worst by September. Soon after that my tenure materials will be in and then I can try to get back to having some sort of "balance" whatever that means.

Tomorrow my grad students are recruiting for my data collection phase that starts in 2 weeks! Hooray. 3 weeks of collecting data, which means going out to a middle school every day to teach and videotape. It is always exhausting to do this but I am looking forward to getting the data. Then this summer we will run 3 more teaching experiments, but in that case I wised up and will have my grad students do a large amount of the teaching. Here's hoping it all goes smoothly...

No comments: