Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Schools are Closed

Wow. Today is the biggest day scheduled for protests and this morning the school district closed all schools, because as of last night over 40% of the teachers had called in sick to attend the protests. They are going to be docked pay for this.

There was a legislative hearing that began yesterday morning at 10 a.m. They told the public that every person who showed up would be allowed 2 minutes to speak about the bill. Last night when I went to bed, they were still holding that hearing and the public was still speaking. Protesters spent the night in the capitol building waiting for their 2 minutes. Eventually, the Republicans went home but the Democrats stayed to hear everybody. (Not that that really helps, because the Dems are already voting against the bill).

All of my colleagues are taking a furlough day today (yes, we still have 8 furloughs a year) to attend this protest. I have the kids with me today. I might take them on down to the capitol to see the action.

All of this community action is inspiring -- there were 13,000 people at our capitol yesterday -- but we still don't have the votes to prevent this bill from passing.

Yesterday the kids' preschool sent a transcript of what the kids were saying when they created self portraits in art. Here is what Milo said:

"I should paint this on top. I need a shoe. I can paint with my hands! I need another shoe and hands. Averie's three like me and Nora. Both kids had a birthday 'cause they're three. Averie has a birthday hat on. That's Nora. She's a smiley girl. I love her smile! Nora is a funny girl!"

2 comments:

leela4 said...

I guess it"s a mystery to me how "representatives" of the people can ignore the people. They apparently really only care about the agenda of "some" of the people.

And thank god at least (so far) Walker hasn't been stupid enough to call out the National Guard.

Nora's lucky that Milo likes her smile . . .

albe said...

There are certainly residents who are totally fine with doing away with any and all benefits for state workers, getting rid of unions, decreasing workers' salaries, etc. Their opinion is that they don't get good benefits, so why should state workers? But those people weren't at the budget hearing. Nobody who spoke at the hearing spoke for the bill. But it doesn't seem like the Republican representatives will change their minds.