Saturday, February 19, 2011

Saturday

I am starting to lose perspective and my cool on top of it. Jake and I have spent a lot of time going over our budget this past week to try to figure out how to prepare for the pay cuts coming our way. Our take-home pay under this bill is going to go down by about $980/month according to my current calculations. Losing that much in take-home every month is not trivial, and then today we got an estimate for a sump pump, because we need a sump pump. But do we really want to sink 3K into a house that we might not stay in? Hard to say. I feel unprepared to make good decisions right now.

Of course, I don't want to be too big of a whiner over our income loss because let's face it, we're in a better situation than most state workers. What if we were a two-teacher family in our district? I know the district's pay scale for teachers, and it's pretty abysmal. What about the nurses? The prison guards? What about those currently depending on medicaid or badger care? So I know that my personal concerns are definitely trivial in the broader scheme of things. However, that knowledge doesn't totally eliminate the stress when we look at our budget and try to figure out where to make the cuts. I guess the answer should be obvious, we'll have to cut down on our caviar, champagne, and heroin habits.

Meanwhile the kids have been saying delightfully literal and funny things. For instance, I left part of my dinner uneaten and remarked that my eyes were bigger than my stomach. Nora said, confused, "But your stomach is pretty big!" Later this evening one of the adults in the room farted, and let's be honest, it wasn't Jake, because he doesn't do that sort of thing. Jake, startled, said "What was THAT?" and Nora said, in all seriousness, "Thunder?"

Milo and Nora have been acting up, and it's my fault for being distracted. It's amazing how much of a difference simply paying attention to them can make. Duh. So I'm trying to put this behind me, or at least put it aside a bit when I am home, and focus on what is right in front of my eyes.

No comments: