Thursday, October 27, 2011

Failure!

So I organized a symposium submission for a big national conference we have every year, and solicited participant papers for it. And the symposium was rejected! This is actually my first rejection ever for this conference. So that really sucked. Also, it sucked because it wasn't a rejection of a personal paper of my own (which I could just keep to myself), it was a rejection of the symposium so I had to share the news with all of the participants.

At the time of submission I could tell it was iffy because one of the participant essays totally didn't fit with the other three. I tried my best to frame the whole thing to connect with that 4th essay, but it was a stretch. A stretch that didn't pay off. So, bummer. As Mentor said, "good thing you have tenure!" (In other words, in the grand scheme of things, who cares?)

True, but it still stings. So since I got an F on conference symposium submissions this year, I had to go to the gym and get an A+ in crossfit class. Like, I had to be the valedictorian of the gym tonight, going faster and harder than ever before. Because, you know...that's healthy.

Then tonight I didn't do any work and instead watched two Star Trek episodes with Jake, and felt better. The end.

We stopped Nora's Prevacid a while back and now, once again, she's complaining about her tummy hurting. She says, "It hurts all the time, even when I'm sleeping." She also complains about her legs hurting a lot. ???? So I'm guessing we will again have to put her on this medicine in a more long term fashion. She has been on Prevacid for a lot of her life, and it always seems to work. Then we always try to take her off of it in the hopes that she's grown out of having reflux problems (and because I don't like the idea of her being on it all the time). But then her complaints about belly pain always return. She no longer does stuff like staying up for hours and then throwing up, like she did as a baby and toddler, but the belly pain seems to be very real.

Funny how tenure doesn't, like, magically fix everything.

But it's still better than not having it.


No comments: