Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Just Random Stuff

1) Wow! Milo sure is sensitive today. For instance, my refusal to put his socks on for him upstairs in his bedroom (bring them down here and I'll help you with your socks, I told him) created a massive tantrum of genuine tears and heartbreaking wails. Milo is sick with another cold, so he's tired and cranky. Jake is also sick with this cold, and feels terrible each night with a high fever. Nora...hard to tell if she's still on the old cold or in the throes of the new cold.

2) I am still recovering from the prior cold and am dreading catching the new one, which seems inevitable. I have bronchitis again and this time my doctor gave me an inhaler to use during a coughing fit so that I can get better lung function and avoid the situation where I can't breathe. But I am not really sure how this would work because once that spell starts, there is no chance to breathe in and hold my breath for 10 seconds. Anyway...sometimes I wonder if I have some sort of allergy to something, or something else going on that would explain why a normal cold for everybody else inevitably turns into 3 weeks of bronchitis for me. Hard to say. Doctors aren't super great with big questions like that. I mean, it doesn't seem right to spend half the winter coughing when I've never smoked a day in my life!

But anyway, it is still possible to do the crossfit class with bronchitis. I wouldn't exactly say it was *easy*, but it was okay.

3) So anyway, this morning I was trying to gain some privacy while going to the bathroom, which is pretty impossible around here, and I told Nora to close the door. But Milo (unbeknownst to me) had his thumb in the hinge of the door so when Nora closed the door, his thumb got caught in there. Even worse, I don't think she was able to react right away to open it, so his thumb was caught in there for a long time. It was pretty good and crushed. This could obviously have contributed to Milo's rough day. It looks a little swollen, but he appears to be able to move it around and stuff without any obvious problems, so I don't think it's broken or anything. Still...awful.

4) Yesterday a friend invited me and Jake and some other people to a concert that is happening...tonight. This person obviously does not have kids. (We actually had a sitter last night to go have dinner with some friends, and 2 consecutive nights of sitters with no advanced notice is impossible).

5) Mentor and I suddenly decided to apply for a new grant. I'm super excited about the direction of this grant. It is much more interesting than the prior grants we've applied for together. The only thing worrying me slightly is that it's building off of our current grant, which we have with a 3rd PI, and we're not including the 3rd PI in the new grant. The reason for it isn't personal to the 3rd PI, who is great, it just has to do with the direction that the new grant takes, a direction that's totally different from the 3rd PI's research area so he wouldn't be a fit for the new grant at all. However, I still feel a little awkward about it. But I feel intellectually good about this research direction. This grant we've had with the 3rd PI has been too far afield from my research area to make me happy.

6) I keep wanting to buy some comfy soft pants that are still presentable and structured enough to go to the store in (the bar is pretty low, we're not the east coast here). The only ones I have can't be worn out anymore due to things like bleach stains and Christmas-tree-sap stains. But I feel like I shouldn't buy them now because I am waiting to get into better, trimmer, shape. What is with this weird thing where I only feel justified in buying clothes if my body is currently in a narrow range of acceptability? Well anyway, it's currently out of that range, so I never go ahead and buy the comfy pants.

No comments: